Wednesday 14 October 2015

Turnigy/Flysky i6 Secret Menu

*For updates to firmware flashing please read updates at the bottom of article*

New Github:  https://github.com/benb0jangles/FlySky-i6-Mod-


New Update (05/12/2015): 10ch Firmware beta firmware


I recently discovered that the Turnigy/Flysky i6 transmitter has a secret hidden menu.



By holding both sticks down-left then powering on the transmitter, we then get a new menu with the following display:


And the menu tree is thus:






Looking at the code for the i6 updater file today, it's clear that there are two files uploaded to the i6 transmitter each file is 55kb and almost identical in code (I have not figured out the exact differences yet). A good guess would be to assume that one file is for the user menu that users experience, the second file is a backup for factory reset. *It might not be possible it is this way because the MCU is supposed to be 64kb storage so 55kb + 55kb = 110kb too large so I must look more why the updater has two files*




What does this mean? Potentially, it means there is more data for the user to use, more menus can be added (double the amount), and potential for er9x to be ported to this transmitter.

It seems that this transmitter is capable of PPM signal & Telemetry data between transmitter (Tx) and receiver (RX) using the ia6b receiver (is not included as a standard receiver upon purchase yet, but probably eventually), it is also feasible to assume that the transmitter can be hacked to allow full telemetry and more than 6 channels (potentially 16 channels for controlling all the switches, knobs, sticks, and not forgetting trainer port/headtracking channel on this remote.

Some progress is being made on modification of channel numbers here. there is also a need to experiment with the ia6b telemetry data - is it standard ibus or pwm or whatever being sent from tx to rx. Once this is understood it can be used to determine if the code needs to be encoded using an arduino mini in between the ardupilot and the receiver or can it just be sent 'as it is'.


It is potentially possible to not have to just hope for i6/Ardupilot telemetry displayed on the i6 transmitter menu. It is also potentially possible to add a HC-06 bluetooth module to the i6 (tx & rx) and send telemetry to a Droidplanner phone or tablet like it has been done with OrangeRX openLRS radios here.

Also what is the potential for replacing the i6 MCU with a Teensy? More RAM, better processor.

Update (telemetry possible):

Update: How to unbrick your i6.

ftdi diy connection




Update:

a straightforward Mod_i6_Programmer.exe has been created. Some testing to perform, but fingers crossed.


Update:

Hello, I have tested the Rclogger transmitter update on my flysky i6 and it installs just fine.

To perform this experiment you need to (how I did it):
1) use an ftdi adapter connected to the i6 transmitter:

2) Download the Rclogger updater here

3) Turn on the i6 transmitter using firmware mode:

4) Open app, Connect and press update, wait for update:


Result:



Please note that I am using my own ftdi adapter and not the official flysky/turnigy update adapter.

Please also let me know your update experiences.

You perform this at your own risk I am not responsible for your mistakes (However, I had no problems, you can also use the standard flysky updater exe to revert back to standard if you wish to)

Update:

I am now able to use a 18650 lion battery. I am using the Panasonic 3400mah NCR18650B cell, in a 1-cell holder, then soldered to the i6 +ive & -ive terminals. I can adjust the i6 power voltage reading to offset the cell alarm by using the secret menu. The aim is to set the voltage reading so that it triggers the alarm when the 18650 cell reaches 3.2v


Not a perfect solution, but means that the lithium cell won't be damaged. I figure that the flysky i10 uses a li-ion battery so it might be worthwhile searching for one of those cells to fit more easily. Maybe even a flat cell phone or camera lion cell, huawei lion + charger sets are available cheap on ebay

Update:

I designed and 3D Printed a battery holder for a cheap phone battery. A little rectangle hole must be cut to let the wire pass inside the i6 transmitter.
3D Printer File can be found & downloaded here

Update 23/12/2015:

It appears that flysky have responded with a conceptual updated model - "Flysky i6s"

It seems that it is generally similar to the standard i6. The differences include:
- Phone mount
- capacitive touchscreen? (Why?)
- button and potentiometer repositioning
-added usb (inbuilt ftdi/uart?)
-added ps2 port (same trainer port?)

More details: HERE + HERE

Receivers are still ia6/ia6b/ia10

It's just a restyling in my eyes. What model users want is open software utilities to allow us to customise things, which we are doing here.

Also Flysky updated their product page for the i6:
They now describe "Firmware upgrades are now available to expand the channel"

Which makes me think they are referring to my Github page for the Mod-i6 project which is a nice indicator that they are reading. It would be nice though, if they just released a developer code instead of just palming off updates to the community without releasing their programming code files, or even responding to my email requests for code. Protecting but not advancing?
Time will tell.


69 comments:

Coriolan said...

Interesting work!

The Travelling Type said...

Hi the flying 3d x8 chinese quad available from from banggood uses this tx an comes with telemetry runng right out of the box the price if the quad is £170 might be with reverse engineering that quad

DalyBulge said...

Yes! great news. please help me to find the flying x8 software updater?

wolus666 said...

hello. does updating to rclogger firmware enables 8 channels on ia6b via ppm. if not will getting 10 chanel receiver enable 8 chanells?

DalyBulge said...

Yes it does, I am also trying to make available updated flysky firmware to allow 8ch ppm.

Anonymous said...

I love my IA6 receiver, like the tx it is compact. Can I tap extra channels from it? If not what cheap FlySky telemetry rx do you suggest?

DalyBulge said...

you need ia6b receiver + ppm or ibus, for now.

tb942 said...

hi, sooooo glad i stumbled upon your project, I'd be really interested in updates about the apm telemetry through the ia6b, and id love to see if it could be done with a naze32, as I would love to get that done. I have a question about the rclogger firmware, does it have any additional things such as more mixes, and does it have any airplane based features like flapperons, or is it just quad related features?

tb942 said...

ok, i flashed rclogger firmware, and found that it loses alot of functionality, but now i cant get flysky or turnigy firmware back on, any ideas?

DalyBulge said...

yes, look at my github link (top of article), in there are original flysky & turnigy firmwares. easy to flash when using trim-switch-update mode (again in article)

tb942 said...

Ive got your repository cloned, but mt TX simply isn't showing up in the updater, even when using the trim flash startup

tb942 said...

I just get 'device not connected' no matter what I do, ive tried reassigning com ports, all that jazz. It lets me put the novax firmware on again, and BaseJ's ping tool sees it, but the original just won't have it

tb942 said...

if you have any ideas on flashing using the internal programming pins any help would be appreciated

TheDalyBulge said...

All my experience can help, but you must be doing something wrong, recheck connections, recheck ftdi, unplug-turn off-turn-on start from scratch etc etc.. If you have successfully installed rclogger novax firmware, then also it is equally simple to update again with flysky or turnigy updater.

Unknown said...

Does anyone know what voltage transmitter can be powered up?
I mean the maximum voltage

Unknown said...

ANYONE?

TheDalyBulge said...

Hobbyking says: Power: 4.5V~6.6V
Banggood says: Tx Alarm triggers: less than 4.2v
I think the TX shuts off at 3.6v (not exactly sure needs experiment)

Has anyone gone beyond these limits? How low before tx shutdown - is a good first test.

If 1x 18650 works @ 4.2v then change voltage/alarm setting in tx hidden menu

If 2x 18650 @ 8.4v (damage risk?) then no need to change voltage/alarm setting

To prevent trial & error, the voltage regulator on the i6 needs to be identified & id checked to know datasheet tolerances, or just say a prayer and gamble/test.

Unknown said...

is it possible to program in a function to use a switch to activate a ch mix on the turnigy I6 ?

Anonymous said...

In my apparatus was replaced with a new processor. It damaged at the update. Warmed processor and picture faded. After soldering, the new does not have the option to program it.
Anyone have any idea?
Łukasz Ostapiuk

Unknown said...

Anyone help me?

Unknown said...

This transmitter uses two 6206a voltage regulators outputting 3.3 volts. I think one is for the 2.4ghz module, the other for the rest of the circuitry.

The 6206a is rated for a maximum input of 9 volts.

Anonymous said...

Hey, great find and top work for cracking in to this little tx. Is there a way to change the inactivity timer without flashing the firmware, coz it's driving me kerazy!

DalyBulge said...

Thanks for info. Are you going to take deep breath and test with 2x18650?

DalyBulge said...

I'm hopeful some good people will group together and build a full firmware for the i6. At the moment we are reverse engineering the standard firmware which is quick to do little things, but not for all the things people want. So, on the github there are foundations for new firmware:
https://github.com/benb0jangles/FlySky-i6-Mod-

Unknown said...

sorry i have just checked farnell's datasheets and they say max input of 6 volts. I'm going to change mine to Microchip MCP1703AT-3302E/MB. With max input of 16 volts

Darneus said...

Hi, I tried to flash the firmware, but the windows stopped responding and has since not turn on the radio. Now does not record the original firmware. What should I do? Please Ask.
I am sorry for my English...

DalyBulge said...

ask here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2486545&page=43

Unknown said...


Hello
Is it possible to do so on the screen instead of the name of the model was more sensors telemetry?

Now we have three. It is possible to make it five?

Darneus said...

Thanks, I solved it, wrong serial port of processor. Can you send me SWD dump of "10ch Firmware" please.

Anonymous said...

sorry another blog, please remove it

Gemmy said...

Guys ... any luck with this :)
cause i have the two cell 18650 ready to be connected to it ?? .. but i am worried of over powering it

DalyBulge said...

you can lower the 2x18650 cell voltage by 0.7v by using 1x Diode 1N4004 between the battery & Transmitter

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1307337

This would make it closer to 6.8v of the max (that seems to be written in the i6 documents)

Anonymous said...

hi you seem to know what your doing , i have a question, i have a turnigy tgy i6 transmitter can i buddy lead straight to the flysky i6 transmitter are they 100% the same or do i have to update the firmware to turnigy? - thanks, Joe

TG said...

You can buddy lead between the TGY-i6 and FS-i6 just fine as is, they are the same except for the logo. You can buddy many more alternate TXs it's only PPM data going through the cable, they don't even need to have the same plug on each unit so long as the right pins are connected.

Unknown said...

@tb942 - i had the same problem.
the thing is you need to connect the RX to the ftdi adapter, start the flashing program. Open the com port you are using AND THEN boot the RX in firmware resoration mode (the trimmer combination mentioned above) then you can flash whatever firmware you want. But hopefully you wont be stuck in "Center all knobs and throttle"-mode that i am. i can only use the NovaX firmware now.

Asker said...

Is it possible to asign another channels to sticks and use all 10 channels as AUX channels? I need all 10 channels and in FS-ia6b only first 6 chanels have PWM output. I have quadcopter controller with ibus input and i wanted to asign first 4 channels to other stuff to use pwm outputs and channels 7-10 to sticks.

Unknown said...

I really want to kniw this answer...

Anonymous said...

I resolved that cutting 2mm the top plastic stopper of throttle
https://github.com/benb0jangles/FlySky-i6-Mod-/issues/18#issuecomment-214989022

Anonymous said...

If programming firmware with an FTDI adapter, why are you setting the adapter jumper to 3.3V when you aren't even connecting the VCC pin of the FTDI to the i6 transmitter?

Anonymous said...

I just successfully updated my TGG-i6 to the latest 10 channel firmware and works great. Thank You.

One question, does it already exist or would be possible to change the firmware such that Trainer mode can select which of the channels to drive from the PPM trainer port ? A bit like like new FS-i10 allows you to do ...

Right now, the FS-i6 10 channel firmware still switches only the main channels 1 to 4 as with the stock firmware. It would be good to just send higher channels so that a head tracker unit could be connected ...

Thanks

sL1pKn07 said...

then with a cell phone (f.e Samsung type GB/T18287-2000 like this http://es.aliexpress.com/store/product/2430mAh-3-7V-EB575152LU-Mobile-Phone-Battery-Boxboy-for-Samsung-I9003-I9001-I9000-I9088-I897-T959/1303780_32455958235.html)can power this transmitter?, not need 6v?

greetings

Unknown said...

Hello guys,
is it possible to add an adjustable Timer to the fs-i6?

Ardy Seto said...

wow, telemetry works, can you share it? :D

GpsMaster said...

Hi guys, I just updated to novaX 8 channel mod on my FS_i6 without any problem. I just cant apply the 10ch mod (10ch_MOD_i6_Programmer_V1_5.exe) at all. So far only NovaX and Mod i6 alt_recovery updater v1_0.exe seem to work. Else the slider gets stuck at 0% forever. Can somebody please help me on this. Thank you

DalyBulge said...

not works. Not yet. Only Novax, but...

DalyBulge said...

dimensions of battery is important if you want to fit inside battery slot. Try, experiment, and share result :)

Admin said...

hi dalybulge, its great new from deviationTX, iA6B can bind with Devo (with update firmware) and the great item is, it show RSSI, you can check the pics here : http://www.deviationtx.com/media/kunena/attachments/223/20160606_073805.jpg

but to get them we need to upgrade the firmware of RX,
the purpose I comment here is, can you make the display of i6 to show RSSI and make alarm for it :D
*sorry to disturb you

Admin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Czanon said...

no

Unknown said...

I have a FS-i6 TX and quadcopter using the 6 channel FS-iA6 RX. I use chan 1-4 for flight, SWA on channel 5 for Acro Mode/ level mode. I want to use channel 6 for a camera switch or a gimbal on the VRA knob. Radio says chan 6 is in use, nothing is plugged into the RX on 6. However, aux cannel SWA is Chan 5 and 6 says source used. Need to turn off 6. Chan 3 and 6 seem to be linked when I go into endpoints my throttle on chan 3 seems to be linked with 6.

Unknown said...

I can't seem to flash my i6. I have tried many different things after combing through the forums. I still get "Device not Connected". It seems the i6 never obtains the update mode regardless of the method I choose (menu or trim buttons). Hoping for some more suggestions or different methods of flashing that might work. thank you

Unknown said...

Hi,
I want to buy the i6 but i've see the i6s too. What is the better choise of them?
Thanks

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

You seem to know quite a bit about theese radios! =)
Is it possible to use only ch 5 and 6 as trainer slaves for the headtracker input on the i6?

Appollo said...

First off thank you very much for the excellent work you are doing. You have made the i6 an amazing TX. In the setup for "variable pitch helicopter " is there a way to mix just CH 3 & 6 like it is for 90, 120, & 140 deg. swash. The "variable pitch works perfect for for a helicopter with Flybarless controller because it has no aileron and elevator mixing, which the FBL controller does automatically. However you still need throttle CH 3 to work in conjunction to collective CH 6. The only way I can do that in "VPH" mode is by mixing CH 3 & 6 with 3 being mast and 6 slave. The problem with that is when you hit the throttle hold switch, both CH stop working which doesn't work well for autorotations. Thanks again!

Unknown said...

Hello!
Great job for this works !
I try to find the PPM signal in my fsia6 to connect my DHT ...
I'don't find it ... anybody have solution ?
Thanks a lot !!

Mape said...

Hi GpsMaster,
For me 10ch_MOD_i6_Programmer_V1_5.exe also did not work. It simply did not start up on Win7. Can benb0jangles probably publish/fix this code?

Unknown said...

I keep getting an error telling me "You are sending out operation of this magnetic disk limit". What should I do? Its all bricked up

Unknown said...

I could not get the updater to work so when running under the command prompt (win 10) I get the following error; The program or feature cannont start or run due to incompatiability with 64 bit versions of windows. Please contact eh software vendor to ask if a 64 bit windows compatible version is available".
I have tried to run it in compatibility mode and on a 32 win xp system. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Unknown said...

Please ignore my last comment. Thanks for the mods mate!

Unknown said...

Hi,
I upgraded my fs-i6 and it works very well, great work!
..but maybe I found an issue, not sure if related to your upgrade or original firmware, using student option.

when student option is active the radio transmits both RF and PPM signals on all channels, in my opinion should mute the RF (it's supposed to be connected to the master that is the only one to go onair).

Moreover could be nice to have, when in Master mode, also the PPM out also for CH1-2-3-4 that at the moment is not transmitted anymore, with this option should be easy to add an head-tracked device, putting in master, reading the PPM out, adding the extra channel (7-8 for example) and injecting all back to the radio as PPM IN. As far as I know that's not possible now.

Thanks

Unknown said...

USBASP USBISP AVR Programmer Adapter. Can i use this adapter to update firmware?

Unknown said...

Hey, Love the thread!!!! A while ago I did the 10 channel firmware upgrade and today I discovered your timer patch and rssi upgrade!!! Amazing!! I now have rssi through my osd without the bother of soldering and programming!!!! Brilliant!!!!

Next question.....how can you get the timer to stop? I have it set on the arming switch and it would be fantastic if this switch stopped the timer when I disarmed.

Also, any ideas about how to get the full 14 channels available through the S-Bus? At the moment we have 10 and one of which is taken up by the rssi set to error.....So.... Any ideas? Would make this a super functional set up if possible.

Very lastly, if i gave you a screen layout for a new firmware update would you consider it for the next firmware version? I fly a 250 quad and some of the peripheral screen layout is distracting.

Cheers

Chris.

Chris@lamerton.co.uk

Anonymous said...

I have eachine flysky i6 theres 2 ways to see the firmware ver one using both trim selectors turn on
That Firmware is 2.0-AUG-2015
The other by using stick both down and left turn on is
2.0 30-Dec-2015 09:43:00
Is this Normal?
Which do i update/mod for i10 Channels
Both have an update option

BenzBremen78 said...

Is there a way to change the model without having to turn off the receiver?

Anonymous said...

I have upgraded my i6 to 10 channels and everything works ok, except I still only have 6 channels working. everything else that should have changed has changed, but the display screen, which now shows 10 channels instead of 6, only shows the 6 originals as working when the sticks are moved or the knobs are rotated. Nothing is shown for the new channels, and nothing works for the new channels if I connect servos. Any suggestions as to what is wrong? I have gone back to fax
ctory settings and done the upgrade three times so far with the same result.

nigesh said...

I love using turnigyflysky rc transmitter. Anyway, I knew these secrets but anyone who doesn't can take advantage

Unknown said...

How many mixes possible? I need more than 3 mixes.

Graham said...

Disconnect the beeper and place an LED in that circuit instead.